Participation in Following Their Voices
The following figures show the current number of participants and schools in Following Their Voices:
Number of Participants
Number of Schools
Following Their Voices Tool Usage Stats
Schools participating in Following Their Voices are asked to form a Strategic Change Leadership Team to lead implementation at the school. The team consists of a school administrator, a Lead teacher and a School-based Facilitator and a school division/education authority lead. The School-based Facilitator is a teacher from the school with the responsibility of working directly with participating teachers to support their progress to increase Métis, Inuit and First Nations student participation and achievement.
- observe teachers and First Nations, Inuit and/or Métis students in the learning environment;
- provide feedback and support teachers to develop goals and action plans to increase Métis, First Nations and Inuit student participation and achievement; and
- provide ongoing coaching, mentorship and support.
Several web-based applications, or tools, have been developed to support accurate and timely data collection, feedback and reporting. The figures below show the number of completed Surveys, Observations, Goals, Walk-throughs and Reflections.
The Survey Tool includes customized surveys administered throughout the year to students, teachers, school administrators and parents/caregivers. The surveys gather respondents’ perceptions on student-teacher relationships, their interactions and the learning environment. The data are used to inform goal setting and planning for improvement.
The Observation Tool is used by School-based Facilitators to gather data while observing participating teachers’ lessons. The tool:
- allows the School-based Facilitator to gather data on teacher and student interactions over the course of an observed lesson;
- provides selected First Nations, Inuit and Métis students the opportunity to comment on their learning;
- gives School-based Facilitators the chance to provide feedback and feedforward to participating teachers, and
- allows participating teachers to add their reflections.
The Goal Setting Tool is designed for participating teachers to review the data gathered from the Observation Tool and surveys to set goals and action plans to increase Inuit, First Nations and Métis student participation and achievement.
The Walk-through Tool enables School-based Facilitators to support the advancements made by participating teachers in reaching their designated goals.
The Reflection Tool provides participating teachers with a comprehensive overview of data collected through Surveys, Observations, Goals, and Walk-throughs, allowing them to assess and reflect on the extent to which goals have been achieved.